In this series of posts, we outline what a typical engagement looks like for each of our services.
After some initial discovery conversations between Duncs & the client CTO, we agreed that a 3 week testing healthcheck (consultancy) was needed in order to dig deeper into some of the testing related challenges the organisation was facing.
The output of the 3 week healthcheck was a verbal report (supported with slides) presented to the C-level executives outlining:
- The testing challenges being faced by the organisation (as a check-back on initial discussion)
- Observations of other process dysfunctions in the organisations
- Potential root causes of the challenges & dysfunctions
- Experiments to run to overcome the challenges & improve the process
After delivering the report, Duncs was retained in the organisation to work through the experiments (coaching), initially with the test teams but then moving onto the development teams as a whole (to tackle the challenges of upstream testability).
This 9 month coaching engagement took on several approaches to help the organisation shift towards a more effective testing strategy, including:
- Helping the development teams with their definition of "word class testing"
- Team Workshops (group interventions) ran at a fixed cadence to share the latest in software testing ideas & spin up micro-experiments to run
- In-team interventions as required (e.g. at standup, whiteboard sessions) to help the teams solve problems more effectively
- 1-2-1 coaching (personal interventions) to help individuals work through their personal challenges & objectives.
- Establishing Special Interest Groups (facilitated discussions) to help with cross-organisation challenges such as security & performance testing.
Throughout the engagement, Duncs had planned meetings with the C-level executives to feedback the effects of the coaching, offer the opportunity for Q&A sessions & to determine any course corrections that may be required. These meetings were supported by ad hoc conversations to quickly squash any misunderstandings.
These feedback loops helped ensure the organisation was getting the desired level of service, the challenges were being addressed & ultimately the test strategy of the organisation was improved.
Sounds like something you could do with? Why not get in touch!